Summer Special Offer
FREE air con service and 12 months FREE breakdown cover with every gold service
Call now to book 01274545304
Tyres: what’s more important to you – price or performance?
The only contact your car has with the road, are four patches of rubber. But how long do you take choosing which tyres to buy when you need new ones? And do you pay attention to tyre labels?
Without tyres your car won’t get very far. But how long do you spend picking out which tyres to get? And is price your main consideration or do you think about fuel economy ratings, wet grip levels and noise levels that are now published with tyres?
According to a survey, most tyre buyers don’t pay much attention to the new labelling, being swayed more by tyre retailers’ recommendations, price and brand loyalty – with the tyre’s performance proving less influential.
Did you know having your wheel alignment checked and adjusted could help save you money, around 90% of vehicles require their wheels aligned, which means that motorists are not only shortening the life of their tyres but also lowering their fuel economy,
It is good practice to have your wheel alignment checked when replacing tyres, this can be done before or after new tyres are fit
But what about you? Do you see tyres as the key part of your car or an unwanted expense to be dealt with as quickly and cheaply as possible?
Call Ladyroyd 01274545304 to get a quote on new tyres or to book your free wheel alignment check
Winter Driving Tips
With winter weather set to be heading our way here are some useful tips on driving in adverse conditions:
1. Keep to the main roads as they’re more likely to be salted. Even after frost has gone, ice can remain in areas which are shaded by trees and buildings.
2. Ensure you have de-icer and a scraper. Don’t be one of those people who scrape a small area and drive looking through a slit, instead clear the whole screen to see properly.
3. If the road is slippery when you start off, do it in second gear, releasing the clutch and accelerating gently, avoiding high revs will help prevent wheel spin. As you drive, stay in higher gears to help avoid wheelspin.
4. Take the risks seriously. If it’s cold outside treat wet looking patches with great care as they could be ice, not water.
5. Stopping distances are increased by up to 10 times in icy conditions, so leave plenty of distance between your car and the car in front. If it is really slippery slow down early and use the gears to do it.
6. If your car loses grip and starts to slide sideways, take your foot off the accelerator, and point the front wheels where you want to go.
We now stock tyres – please call for info 01274545305
Getting Ready For Autumn & Winter With Ladyroyd Garage
Are you and your vehicle ready for the Autumn & Winter weather?
Don’t get caught out by the seasonal change in driving conditions
As the dark nights have arrived and the bad weather has followed we need to take more care as it brings many changes for the road users, from the dazzlingly blinding sunlight to the first icy windscreen of the season, be prepared and plan ahead to avoid being caught out
- Get up at least 10 minutes early to give you time to prepare the car.
- Don’t drive off like a tank-commander, with a tiny hole cleared in the windscreen. Clear all windows using a scraper and de-icer.
- Use a cigarette lighter to warm a key for a frozen lock. Don’t breathe on the lock, as the moisture will condense and freeze.
- Plan routes to favor major roads which are more likely to have been cleared and gritted.
- Put safety before punctuality when the bad weather closes in. Allow extra time for winter journeys but be prepared for the inevitability of being late for work due to unexpected delay.
Take care when driving at sunset
How to reduce the risk and possible consequence of being dazzled.
- Keep your windscreen clean inside and out.
- Renew wiper blades if worn.
- Keep a pair of sunglasses in the car, but make use of the sun visor too.
- Slow down immediately if dazzled.
Bear in mind
- if the sun is behind you, it’s in the eyes of those approaching you
- if the sun is in your eyes it’s probably affecting those following you too
- Use headlights to help others see you
Have you got an emergency kit in your car?
You need to be prepared for any eventuality, anything could happen at any time that could result in you being stuck in your car for a long period of time, from a severe weather event to a road closure due to a police investigation
Check list of items
Tow Rope Jump Leads Shovel De-icing Equipment
Blanket’s Wellies Car Jack Warning Triangle
Warm Clothes First Aid Kit Flask Medication
Mobile Phone Car Charger Torch Torch Batteries
Ladyroyd Garage gets the UK’s first Touchless 4 Wheel Alignment System.
The only other one being in Munich, Germany making Ladyroyd Garage the second in the world to have the touchless system
What are the Benefits of touchless
With touchless, wheel alignment becomes easier, faster and without mechanical tolerances, as there is no need to attach clamps and other electronics that could damage the rims.
By measuring all 4 wheels live and simultaneously, touchless is more precise than non-contact aligners with 2 wheel measurement.
- Precise indication of misalignment on all 4 wheels simultaneously
- Completely effortless wheel alignment as measurements are done completely touchless
- Easy operation – through smart align
- Smart link – allows fast adaption of the touchless pods to different wheelbases
- High speed measurement smart test – measure vehicles in a matter of seconds just drive in, measure, done
**We are offering a free 4 Wheel Alignment check – while you wait **
We will then give you a precise indication of your vehicles steering geometry and our vehicle technician will discuss with you any adjustments if required.
Free Bosch 3D 4-wheel misalignment check for all customers!
Come in and get a free Bosch 3D 4-wheel alignment by our experts while you wait! When driving your car it’s not unreasonable to expect all four wheels to point in the same direction! However, over the course of time and everyday driving, a number of factors can affect the geometry of your car’s wheels, causing them to become misaligned. Wheel misalignment needs to be corrected if your car is to run safely, smoothly and efficiently.
The way that cars are designed and built has changed beyond all recognition over the last few decades – car components have evolved and so has the way that the steering and suspension set up is measured. Whilst modern cars are designed to offer great performance, handling and comfort, to make this possible the suspension and steering must be measured and then adjusted to meet the specifications of the manufacturer. The only way to achieve proper alignment is by measuring all four wheels with a professional four wheel alignment.
Your car may need a wheel alignment because over time the geometry of the wheels can become misaligned. Misalignment can happen for a wide variety of reasons but the most common tend to be everyday driving such as hitting potholes or kerbs, wearing out of suspension parts and incorrect initial adjustment.
Having your car’s wheels aligned will bring a wide range of benefits and is something that should be done at least once per year or every 12000-15000 miles. Incorrect wheel alignment is one of the most frequent causes of excessive tyre wear and if you arrange to have your car’s wheels aligned regularly, this can add thousands of miles to the life of your tyres.
Correct wheel alignment can also help you improve the fuel consumption of your vehicle. This is achieved by reducing the drag or rolling resistance – four wheel alignments will set the wheels in straight, parallel lines and this, combined with correct tyre pressures, will minimise drag.
Wheel alignment will also improve the handling of your car which is essential for safe and enjoyable driving. The majority of handling problems can be resolved by four wheel alignment, making your car more stable when cornering or taking emergency action to avoid a collision. The four wheel alignment procedure also includes a suspension system inspection, allowing for the identification of any worn parts which can then be replaced before they lead to more expensive problems.
It’s not always obvious that a car’s wheels are misaligned; if you’re wondering how to spot the signs, you need to look for uneven wear on the back or fronts of your tyres. This can be difficult to see so if you’re not sure, try running your hands over the tyre and you should be able to feel any areas on the edges that might have worn excessively. Another sign of misalignment is when a car pulls to the right and left – this will be especially noticeable if you are driving along a flat, straight road and you find yourself having to compensate through the steering to prevent the car from drifting. Finally a crooked steering wheel, even when you are driving in a straight line is a sure sign of wheel misalignment!
Four wheel alignments shouldn’t be confused with wheel tracking which is now recognised as being far less effective on modern cars. Tracking was generally used on the front wheels of a vehicle only without taking into account whether the rear wheels were also aligned. This often resulted in the front wheels being correctly aligned with the rear wheels out of alignment, leading to handling and tyre wear problems.
You’ll find that there are many garages and workshops offering wheel alignment checks and services. Unlike other garages, here at Ladyroyd Garage our wheel alignment service covers all four wheels and we measure all four wheels simultaneously. So if you’re looking for a reliable, effective and professional wheel alignment service, why not book your car in for a wheel alignment check with us today?
Prince William isn’t the only one making the news by feeling moved to do something about the terrible plight of Rhinos in Kenya. After watching a documentary on the terrible effects that the illegal trade in Rhino horns has had on the Rhino populations, our very own David Thornes (Ladyroyd Garage) and John Green of Rydam Universal teamed up to make a difference.
One of the problems experienced by conservationists in Kenya is that they have to regularly move the rhinos from one part of the conservation area to another. This might be to get them out of the way of horn poachers, or it might be so that they can be near other rhinos to breed with, thus preserving the population.
The documentary David watched showed how the team had to harness the rhinos and drag them onto the back of a truck – a feat not easily achieved! David, with his knowledge of recovery vehicles knew for sure that there was a better way for the rhinos to be moved, and made a phone call saying that he’d donate a recovery vehicle. Within days, David was flying out to Ol Pejeta to see just what was needed.
Coming back full of enthusiasm, they built a truck called “Ella”, (named after David’s daughter). After a lot of work ensuring that the truck was exactly what was needed by the conservation team in Kenya, a state of the art truck, complete with air conditioning and enough padding to ensure the rhinos safe transportation, was shipped out by the British Army and the Tusk Trust and presented to Ol Pejeta, to assist future translocations across Kenya’s rhino population.
David, John and their family flew to Ol Pejeta to help train the staff in its use and to participate in a translocation exercise. The truck overcame every challenge the African bush posed and with the old machinery and technique. Wildlife & Security Manager, Batian Craig, admitted that they would never have been able to achieve this move in such a tight timeframe had it not been for “Ella”. “Ella” in action. Translocating rhinos has suddenly become a lot easier.
Being part of the Bosch Car Service network means a great deal to us – and to our customers. It’s your guarantee that you’ll always get the best qualified mechanics, the best quality parts and the best possible advice when you put your car in our hands.
We’ll help you get the best from your garage – and to help us:
- Please try to give clear written instructions of all work required.
- Try to itemise all faults when booking your vehicle in and leave a telephone number so that we can contact you if we need to.
- Remember that most garages quote prices excluding VAT.
- If your vehicle has a service record, leave it visible or hand it in at reception for us to stamp. A full service history will increase the value of any vehicle.
- If your vehicle is to be booked in for an MOT which has not yet expired, please ensure you bring your existing certificate with you when your vehicle is left at the garage.
- If you are unsure or unhappy about any aspect of our service, please do not hesitate to talk to us.
- Bosch Service Agent
Being part of the Bosch Car Service network means a great deal
- FREE Wheel Alignment Check
Free Bosch 3D 4-wheel misalignment check for all customers!
Let us keep you updated with our latest offers